
Readers,
I have this issue with reading and finishing books. I can start a book just fine...and I am excited to experience the "being consumed in a book or getting lost in something that evokes my mind and imagination", but as soon as I begin to get bored, I put the book down and usually Never return. This has been my tendency now for about 20 years. Not proud of this...and in fact I think of myself as far less cool than all you ready types....but alas....this is my struggle. So I picked up yet another book, last summer....when I was feeling pretty burned out by ministry and I began reading. Brian Lenney is the one the convinced me that the book would hold my attention....and it did...what follows is a list of books I have read since then. Finishing a book has given me the energy and the gumption to propel me onto more and more books...
1) Confessions of a Reformission Rev: By Mark Driscoll: This is a must-read for anyone in ministry....quick, fast-paced and a surprisingly insightful guide to ministry
1)Mere Christianity: C.S. Lewis: Thanks, Grady for insisting that I read this......I am sure most of you have read this, but for those of you that haven't, this book gives a compelling systematic explanation for God and our need for a savior without the use of scripture...
2) Blue like Jazz: Yah, I know this is so 2004....but I finally read it before leaving GF. Loved it. Agreed with it. A raw take on spirituality and meaning. Actually Gina, pretty sure this is your book....I'll send it back to you...your notes throughout were helpful.
3) Velvet Elvis: Rob Bell's book, Thanks to the hubby for insisting I read this. He talks about how we have painted Christianity and dares to ask whether or not it's worth considering that we have painted Christianity wrong.... or whether there is a new way it should be painted
4) A New Kind of Christian: Brian McLaren: I was told he was a heretic...so I was intrigued to read what about him and his writings were so heretical....I am 3/4 of the way through with this and I think it is must-read for Christians whether you agree with him or not...nuff said
5) The Wounded Spirit: Frank Perretti: Chris Gust, You da man on this one! How did you know that it would speak so profoundly to me....must have been that one night when I shared my life story with you and Aimee...almost done with this and I'll send it back soon
So, for any of you that made it this far through my blog, do you have any other good recommendations for me?....you all have been particularly helpful in guiding my reading choices
Rachel Lenney, what was that book you liked...raggamuffin...something? Rachel Castillero...you are the queen reader....what do you suggest?
I miss you all so much! I treasure our friendships and the way we have spurred each other on
Cristina
I have this issue with reading and finishing books. I can start a book just fine...and I am excited to experience the "being consumed in a book or getting lost in something that evokes my mind and imagination", but as soon as I begin to get bored, I put the book down and usually Never return. This has been my tendency now for about 20 years. Not proud of this...and in fact I think of myself as far less cool than all you ready types....but alas....this is my struggle. So I picked up yet another book, last summer....when I was feeling pretty burned out by ministry and I began reading. Brian Lenney is the one the convinced me that the book would hold my attention....and it did...what follows is a list of books I have read since then. Finishing a book has given me the energy and the gumption to propel me onto more and more books...
1) Confessions of a Reformission Rev: By Mark Driscoll: This is a must-read for anyone in ministry....quick, fast-paced and a surprisingly insightful guide to ministry
1)Mere Christianity: C.S. Lewis: Thanks, Grady for insisting that I read this......I am sure most of you have read this, but for those of you that haven't, this book gives a compelling systematic explanation for God and our need for a savior without the use of scripture...
2) Blue like Jazz: Yah, I know this is so 2004....but I finally read it before leaving GF. Loved it. Agreed with it. A raw take on spirituality and meaning. Actually Gina, pretty sure this is your book....I'll send it back to you...your notes throughout were helpful.
3) Velvet Elvis: Rob Bell's book, Thanks to the hubby for insisting I read this. He talks about how we have painted Christianity and dares to ask whether or not it's worth considering that we have painted Christianity wrong.... or whether there is a new way it should be painted
4) A New Kind of Christian: Brian McLaren: I was told he was a heretic...so I was intrigued to read what about him and his writings were so heretical....I am 3/4 of the way through with this and I think it is must-read for Christians whether you agree with him or not...nuff said
5) The Wounded Spirit: Frank Perretti: Chris Gust, You da man on this one! How did you know that it would speak so profoundly to me....must have been that one night when I shared my life story with you and Aimee...almost done with this and I'll send it back soon
So, for any of you that made it this far through my blog, do you have any other good recommendations for me?....you all have been particularly helpful in guiding my reading choices
Rachel Lenney, what was that book you liked...raggamuffin...something? Rachel Castillero...you are the queen reader....what do you suggest?
I miss you all so much! I treasure our friendships and the way we have spurred each other on
Cristina
13 comments:
"Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"A Theology of Liberation" by Gustavo Gutierrez
"God of the Oppressed" by James Cone
"Reading the Bible from the Margins" by Miguel de la Torre
"Silence" by Shusaku Endo (A novel actually)
"Three-Mile an Hour God" by Kosuke Koyama
"Culture and Imperialism" by Edward Said (I'm sure Dave would love for you to read this)
"The Bible and the Third World" by R.S. Sugirtharajah (If you wanna know about "postcolonialism" and the Bible, you might like this one)
"On Job: God-Talk and the Suffering of the Innocent" by Gustavo Gutierrez
And...... "En La Lucha" by Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz (I think you might like this since she attempts to construct a theological from the perspective of Latina women)
That should be enough to keel you over right? I'd say if you must, read Silence and On Job.
Kit! Thanks for your recommendations, man....wish we could do coffee sometime....
hey cristina, I finished reading More than serving tea, it is a book written by 5 asian american christian women put out by IVP. The women really tackle the idea of being torn between asian culture, american culture, and being a christian following God. It gave me alot of perspective of asian women that I met in the states. It also gave me a flipped perspective on some thoughts of how I'm feeling being in an asian country/ being in asian culture with my american culture, and being a christian. I don't know know if you would be interested...but I really enjoyed it and thought I would pass it on. I could send it to you if you want to borrow it. - shellita
Hi honey- like your selections- I've read most of them (except Wounded Spirit) "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning is the name of the one you were asking about, I have it to borrow when you come out- I'm reading right now "Starving Jesus" by Craig Gross and J.R. Mahon- talks about being doers of the Word, not just hearers ("off the pew and into the world") it's good so far....
Interesting you should write about this :)
As you know, I recommend "Jesus For President" by Shane Claiborne. I also hear that "The Irresistible Revolution," also by Claiborne, is a good read.
word.
Glad to see that you're reading A New Kind of Christian, although, I must admit that is not my favorite by him. I just don't really enjoy the style in which it is written. I do however recommend one of Brian's other books called Generous Orthodoxy....honestly, that book changed my world (or I guess I should say, world view). I loved it, loved it, loved it. McClaren is definitely one of my favorites (hmmm....does this mean I'm a heretic? ;-)).
I agree with Linds in the comment above. Shane Claiborne is a MUST READ. Both of his books, Irresistible Revolution and Jesus For President had a deep deep impact on my perspective of how I should live my life as a Christian. I would recommend reading Irr. Rev first, then Jesus For President second...Shane is totally a modern day profit (in my opinion).
Another book I just read that I think you might like is called Affluenza, it's not a religious book, but more of a book about living simply and counter-culturally (in a decreased consumption kind of way). AWESOME! That's it for now, just let me know if you need more recs and good job on finishing those books sister!!! ;-)
Wow! My friends...thanks for all the good suggestions...I am excited to get started on some of those...now off to make curry....yummo!
I've read "The Hobbit" again since being on bedrest. I fully appreciate learning while reading but there's something really wonderful about being lost in another world. Bilbo's truly an inspiration.
Another that I've just reread in a hospitality book called "A Life that Says Welcome." There's some really good ideas though as a compliment to yourself, most of the things in it I'd learned from you already.
I secretly wish I would've been a part of the Little House on the Prairie series. You'll appreciate them more now that you've lived in ND. : )
I'm also a start a book and never finish it kind of reader but here are the two that I'm currently working on and would recommend.
"Out of the Silent Planet" C.S. Lewis - This is a total fiction story but a great mind release. C.S. Lewis' writings always challenge me.
"Financial Peace - Revisited" Dave Ramsey - This is great financial advice that anyone at any point in life could benefit from and the younger you are the more you'll benefit because you can apply the info early on in life. Ramsey is also a believer and his steps to financial peace are founded on biblical truths. Love it!
Glad you read "Blue Like Jazz" oldie but a goodie!
Love ya!
girl, it's so cool you are lovin to read now!
I have a few books that I say you've gotta read.
"The Giver" by Lois Lowry. This is one of my favorite books and always inspires me. it is truly just a beautiful book. Please read this! It usually takes me a day and half to read it. So short..so good.
I actually just finished reading "Number the Stars" which is ALSO by Lois Lowry. A very simple, quiet little book. And yet . .it touched me very deeply. This one is so short you could polish it off in a few hours.
I don't know if you've ever read "Night" by Elie Weisel but it is a book that will make a lasting impact. I had already read this book 2 or 3 times by the time Oprah claimed it as one of her Book Club books. (don't let that turn you off!). It is a chilling yet perfectly written true tale.
"If" by Amy Carmichael is just a TREMENDOUS book. Read it but beware. You will be so convicted you might fall to your knees. literally.
"Watership down" is my favorite book. But you have to be a
particular kind of person to appreciate it's beauty. So who knows if you'd like it or not. But it is my FAVORITE book. So..take it or leave it.
YAY FOR BOOKS! I could go on
and on about books I love.
-linnea
Don't worry about sending it back, Cristina.
I'll keep the syllabus short for now. I highly recommend "The Cost of Discipleship" or anything else by Bonhoeffer. "Watership Down" is one of my favorite novels ever, rivaled by "The Hobbit" and a few others. I've read "Out of the Silent Planet" twice and enjoyed it, but this one and the two following books in C. S. Lewis' space trilogy are something of an aquired taste (Lewis at his weirdest, perhaps, but I like them).
"The Pilgrim's Regress" by C. S. Lewis is positively spectacular. I think that it is at least on even terms with "Mere Christianity", although I've heard (from IVP guys at Urbana) his scholarship on early English literature is even better than his theological works or his fiction and, from my experience, I tend to concur. The most recent Blackwell annotated edition of "Paradise Lost" still contains scholarship by Lewis.
So, there you go ... only one more for now.
... that didn't take long ...
"The Visitation" by Peretti, or anything else by him, for that matter.
"Ragamuffin Gospel"
Stop reading heretics like Rob Bell and Mclaren, they poison minds...
Post a Comment