Welcome to our very casual, eclectic and rather hit-or-miss updates. We are trying to mostly document the exciting adventures of our lives as natural-minded, educated, broke, living abroad, first-time parents that try our best to follow the way of Jesus. We also know that pretty much the only readers we have, are really just visiting the blog to see pics of their grand baby. So, I'll do my best to keep those updates coming!

- Cristina


Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Not-So-Lovely Side of Barcelona

I'm wanting to keep it real here, and in order to do that, I need to tell you about some of the not-so-lovely and downright gross things here in Barcelona, lest you start thinking this place is some sort of picturesque paradise.

Let me first start off by saying, I really do like this city. I am growing to like it more every day. I like the fusion of old and new, the array of cultures and people and food.

But, for the sake of keeping an accurate account of our time here, I want to post about some of the disturbing things of living here. In no particular order here I go:

1) Dog poop and pee
It seems everyone and their brother has a dog or two. They roam the streets with their masters. While most people are careful to pick up the waste from their dog, obviously many still do not. There are not any fields or empty lots scattered throughout the city, so as you can imagine, dogs go wherever they can. They urinate on walls, bushes and streets. It often smells here. When I take Amalia out for walks she says, "Don't step on the hotdogs, Mommy". Lol, I guess I can see how she might have come up with this name--yuck! I am just thankful that she is a skilled enough walker to avoid them.

2) Graffiti
I have an artistic appreciation for thoughtful and skilled graffiti--I do, but this is just a lot of seemingly mindless "tagging". It's everywhere. Every single garage-like door that covers storefronts and even some first floor residences is chalked-full of graffiti. Some of the nicer stores it seems have commissioned an actual graffiti artist to create something beautiful on their door and all the other "artists" seem to leave it alone. If I ever had a store here, that would be the first thing I'd do, pay off a graffiti artist to cover my door.

3) Children pee on trees
I saw this happen a couple of time when we first arrived, but then, didn't see it again until a couple weeks ago. I thought maybe what I had first witnessed was just a by-chance-incident. Nope. I think kids peeing in planters and on trees is just a way of life and maybe even related to potty training? Now that I have spent significant time at the playgrounds, it definitely seems "the norm" to let your kid run to the nearest planter, pull down their pants and pee. Hmmmm, ok....I can see how that would be convenient for potty training...

4) Meat
I enjoy eating meat, but I wouldn't call myself a "meat lover". I don't enjoy seeing all the parts of the animals body out on display and something about the over-obsession with meat bothers me too. Well, this place can be tricky to navigate if you are easily turned off by meat or are even like me and eat it in moderation(I am kicking myself for writing this as I am currently trying to talk my vegan brother and sister-in-law into coming for a visit). Just know, that if you enter a market, you will see animals hanging, pig heads, blood, fish with eyeballs and your chicken will be de-headed right in front of you as well. David likes this and thinks it speaks to the freshness of the meat. Agree to disagree.

5) Water
The tap water here isn't so good. It is tolerable and we are told it is safe, but you kinda just have to gulp it down and get it over with. Buying purified water gets expensive--not to mention the walk home and the flights of stairs that I have written you about on almost every post ;)

6) Prostitution
Though I myself, have yet to see any prostitutes, everyone tells me that they are all over. When I cry out to God for this city, this is one of the things that I pray--that these women would come to know true love, that they would find freedom, that their families would have some other means of support, that the forceful perpetrators of this money-maker would be brought to justice.


7) Panhandlers, pick pockets and thieves

Daily, I am confronted by people for money. Some just extend their cup out to beg and others get a little more aggressive. I judge by their eyes. Street musicians are also seen as "beggers" here, but I see them a little differently in that they are actually doing something. Amalia gives to them pretty generously. Sadly, purse snatching, wallet stealing and other pick pocket type stuff is all too common here. we haven't had anything from us taken, so we still feel like this place is safe, you just have to always be aware of your surroundings--which can be challenging with a 2-year-old.

And this has got to conclude my list for tonight. Maybe an update or addition in the next day if I remember I've left out something important

So who wants to visit huh???

Peace to you all
Cristina

3 comments:

mom said...

yes, I too have experienced much of this not so lovely side of Barcelona- the dog poop for sure!! May God continue to bless you with wisdom and discernment on relating to the many different types of people there, safety as you do, and compassion and empathy for the lost…love you, may our King bless you and keep you… alwase, always xo

Anonymous said...

I'd love to visit...if only I could, but since you will know spanish completely once you return you can come visit me in Ecuador sometime in February when it is really cold in MI and you want to get away :)
-Beckah :)

Elisabeth McNinch said...

This is too funny! I remember it became second nature to walk around dog poo after a couple months of living in Spain, but I had a few close calls! A different place always has those unexpected things that bother you that locals don't even think about :) I got to stay with a friend in Cordoba once and they had their cured meat (like a pig's leg & thigh) hanging in a utility type room which also served as their second bathroom - making the most of a small space ;) I love how you're taking it all in stride as part of the experience! And you're really experiencing big city life too. Sounds like you're all doing great!